Saturday, June 11, 2011

Jonathan Livingston

Of all the people I owe a debt of gratitude, my high school cross-country coach is perhaps the greatest. Though I think I was a bit too young to grasp them at the time, I have kept the visionary concepts he introduced me to as a young runner with me all these years. At the time, I found them fascinating, but at bit "out there" at the same time. However, now with a bit more life experience, maturity and knowledge at hand they are being making more and more sense. Especially as I continue on this spiritual journey I started nine months ago.

Looking for some reading material to accompany my cross-country camping trip before I left Wisconsin, I came across my old copy of 'Jonathan Livingston Seagull.' I was 14 when Coach Conway first had us read this book -- chapter by chapter -- before practice each day. 20 years ago. The words are still the same, and the book is still incredibly inspiring, but the message is so very different now.


"We can lift ourselves out of ignorance,


we can find ourselves as creatures of excellence and intelligence and skill.


We can be free! We can learn to fly!"



-Richard Bach, Jonathan Livingston Seagull

No comments: