Thursday, September 30, 2010

Surely I Have Arrived

A friend of mine sent me a text last night. It read, "Adios WV, hello Midwest." I could not have imagined how true that text would ring for me today.

Have you ever had to stop for a cow crossing? On a bicycle? I hadn't either until today. A whole herd of Holstein casually crossing the road. I thought at first they must have gotten loose, but then I saw an actual cattle x-ing sign on the side of the road. Nobody back in West Virginia is going to believe this I thought, I need to get a picture. Unfortunately, by the time I fumbled my camera out out of my backpack, the last cow was being herded across the road by a little mule tractor and I missed my photographic opportunity. Curses.

At another point in on my bike ride, I found myself entirely surrounded by corn, horizon to horizon.



And it was at that point it finally sunk in that I have indeed moved back to the Midwest. But not just the Midwest... the RURAL Midwest. And it was at that point that I thought, "What the heck have I gotten myself into."

No comments: