Wednesday, September 29, 2010

Back In Twin Cities

Just as I am returning to Wisconsin, so is my mother. Her flight lands in Minneapolis tonight, so I am spending the day in the Cities awaiting her arrival. I have been told I missed the equivalent of a midwestern monsoon while I have been down in West Virginia finishing up business. Today I have witnessed a bit of the aftermath.



Flood levels on the Mississippi are just cresting. This panorama of the mighty river's swollen banks was taken from the balcony of the Science Museum where I saw the Dead Sea Scrolls exhibit today. For some reason, I went to the museum thinking Rosetta Stone and was looking forward to an exhibition about hieroglyphics and language translation. It wasn't until I actually walked into the exhibit that it dawned on me, "Oh... Dead SEA Scrolls... not Rosetta Stone." Not so much about language as the Torah, the Bible, the Koran and document preservation. And people say I'm fairly intelligent.

Other activities for the day; thrift stores, record shops, Scandinavian delis and check out this amazing octopus taco platter! I've always loved the Twin Cities, but in my more youthful days they always seemed a bit too close to home for comfort. My attitude on that seems to be changing.



Illness seems to be as prevalent here as the flooding and I am a bit disappointed I was not able to meet up with a new friend, but it was really great to catch up with one old. While helping my friend Craig hand out free PBR and Pabst swag at the Roma di Luna in-store performance at Electric Fetus tonight, we came to the somewhat distressing realization that we have known each other for twenty years now. Funny to think how far removed we both are now from the kids who met at Bible camp and served together on synod youth board.



Craig, you've got an awesome gig going. Thanks for letting me tag along for the night.

And welcome home Mom.
Enjoy your American coffee, the lefse and the herring.

(Photo borrowed from Zombie Lapdance)

No comments: