Tuesday, January 4, 2011

I Do Not Like Monkeys

After classes today, hiked to the top of Rang Hill just up the street behind the school here. There is a park at the top of the hill that is known for its views of the island, its monkey population and its stray dogs. The climb up the hill is extremely steep and very sharp switchbacks are overgrown with jungle plants. Drivers on motorbikes come flying down it two and three passengers deep and if you're not careful, you will be run over. It took me about forty minutes to get to the top and this is the view that I found:


And monkeys. I found lots of monkeys. I thought they were cute at first, like this guy:


He sat quietly playing with a nut shell while I snapped a few photos of him, then when I stood up to go take some photos of other monkeys, he bared his teeth and charged at me. It scared the crap out of me. Then I noticed other monkeys were attacking an elderly couple who had just run out of peanuts and another group of monkeys were screeching at a young couple holding hands who were just passing by and then I saw this guy pulling wires out of a lamp post:


And it was decided. I do not like monkeys. They scare me. They scare me almost as much as this sign for the bathroom:


I am curious -- but not quite curious enough -- to find out just what "The Breeze of Toilet" entails.

No comments: