Tuesday, December 14, 2010

Manly and Sydney Harbour National Park

When I was a kid, I always dreamed about living on an island. I think in part I was always fascinated by this idea because a) I love the water, and b) I love the idea of a boat being your main mode of transportation. Not only does Sydney have a fantastic public transport system, but a large part of it is ferry boat. Water, beaches and boats, is it any wonder I love this city?


Today I am taking a ferry out to Manly to do some exploring, some hiking and some beach-side basking.


Sea anemone in the tide pools. I love the way things gently sway and move in a slow suspended animation-type motion in the water. I could watch the tendrils of these anemone drift and sway with the waves for hours -- if I had the patience to do so. But I always feel if I sit too long in any one spot, I am inevitably going to miss seeing sometime somewhere else. And so I keep moving. Maybe this is the key to my lifelong wanderlust.


Asking the Great Rock Face what the secret to life is. His answer was "Patience," but not having learned that skill yet, I was long gone by the time gave it.


Hiking along the cliff sides in Sydney Harbour National Park...


...and plotting how I will someday own property here.


Back to the beach for some Gelato and sunbathing, then time to catch the ferry just in time for sunset.



Now I call that perfect timing. Perhaps I haven't mastered patience, but I've developed some mighty fine time management skills over the years.

No comments: