Friday, December 17, 2010

Wilson's Prom

Yesterday I was standing on top of Australia's tallest peak. Today I am looking out at the ocean from Australia's southernmost peninsula, Wilson's Promontory. This has been a whirlwind of road trip!

Leaving Mount Kosciuszko yesterday, we headed south towards Victoria on a old dirt cattle trail that snakes through the Blue Mountains.



It was a gorgeous ride, but the twists and turns pushed the limits of my motion sickness tolerance. We spent the night in Lakes Entrance, and two of my new acquaintances -- delightful young ladies from Liverpool -- and I procured a box of wine from dinner and watched the sunset on the beach as we traded travel stories late into the night. It has always amazed me how quickly fellow travelers bond ...and then leave each others lives as quickly as they came into them.


A bit too much wine drunk and a fitful night's sleep on the squeaky top bunk of a run-down hostel room made for an interesting ride down to Wilson's Prom, but the fresh air and the vistas cleared up any fogginess from the previous night's festivities.


Kangaroos, emu, red-back spiders, an echidna even made an entrance -- a great day of hiking in a very beautiful part of the continent.


And now we are heading to Melbourne and I am very much looking forward to seeing my family.


No comments: